Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Doohickey

Pronunciation: doo-hik-ee; –noun, plural -eys. Informal. a gadget; dingus; thingumbob.
a way to describe an object when your mind is in such a clutter you can't remember its' name because you are pressed for time. similar in meaning to thing-a-ma-jig.

I was working here in the family room while Michael watched "Word Girl" on PBS Kids when one of the words that Captain Huggy Pants said popped out and made me chuckle, "doohickey". I'm so glad that our young children are hearing words like this so they will live on for generations to come. Seriously. My Gramma B was a darling little Irish Lass and she had a seriously quirky vocabulary and a great sense of humor. She also made the best peanut butter cookies (with the fork tine crosses in the middle). I miss you Gramma.

No comments: